Monday, November 9, 2015

Remaining states

MOST definitely:

Alaska and Hawaii-
.  These are the only 2 U.S states that I have yet to visit and I will surely go regardless of my running status.  If I can’t run a half, I bet I can find a companion race at a shorter distance.

Probable:
Maryland-
I spent a summer in Salisbury (near Ocean City) and would very much like to return to the area for a race as well as to drive the full Delmarva Peninsula.

Michigan-
The Detroit Free Press race course actually goes into Windsor, Ontario, Canada for a few miles.  I think that’s really cool.  I also have a couple of buddies that live in the area.

Connecticut and Rhode Island-
I rode through here when I was maybe 4 years old and part of me does not feel right about counting these 2 among the states that I have visited.  The best/worst part of it is that the races are on the same weekend so I’d have to be in very good shape to manage that.  Of course, I won’t “race” either of them but would have to at least finish respectably to enjoy it.

South Dakota-
I visited here when I was 7 years old and yes, I do vaguely remember it.  There is a downhill race at altitude in the Black Hills near Mt. Rushmore.  I’d have to go a bit off the beaten path but I’m sure that the scenery would be amazing.

Maybe:
Washington:
The one to do here is RnR Seattle, which could be a nice getaway in early June.  I’ll leave 90 degree weather for temps in the 70s and yes, this is the dry season there.

Utah:
There are several high altitude but almost all downhill races here.  It would be difficult to assess the exact value of my time but that becomes less important as I get older.  The scenery would be awesome.

New York:
It would have to be in Manhattan, nowhere else and yes, there are a couple half marathons there.  It would be really cool to race through Central Park and Times Square but I dare not drive and a hotel within a few blocks of the starting line would awfully pricey. 

Massachusetts:
Boston is the only one to do here.  It would take a miracle for me to qualify and I do not have any interest in running for charity.

If I am to do all of these, it would take me to up to 36 states.  Maybe I could be talked into a couple others.  I suppose that if I get up to 40 states, I’ve got to go all the way. There may be other opportunities to do 2 races in the same weekend in nearby states.  NJ&DE, VT&NH, MN&WI.  Yes, there is a chance that I will end up doing all 50.

No comments: