Thursday, January 1, 2015

Training 1/1-1/11

I closed out the year yesterday with a Mile time trial in 7:06.  I want to re-iterate that I am looking for a slow and steady climb out of this hole.  The last thing I want is a sub-5:30 followed by a 9:30 a day or 2 later.  If I'm still over 6:00 at the end of this post, so what?  Long year ahead.  PLEASE, no more instability!!!

1/1- AM Vestavia Mile in 6:23.7.  Cut off another 43 seconds in just over 24 hours.  As usual, I paced it very well with splits of 95-97-98-93 for a 1 second negative split.  Progressing faster than expected but I don't necessarily feel that's a good thing.  Added a warm and cool.

PM- 3 miles on Wisteria in 23:09 (7:43 pace).  Comfortable effort.  Never really strained but I've got to realize that it may be a while before I can just set the cruise control to 7:20 and let the engine go for 6+ miles.
Grade:C/1 credit/distance=5.0

1/2- Gold's 5 mile in 36:55 (7:23 pace).  I will not call this cruise control and it did require effort.  Slipped a bit at the end to a 7:34 in Mile 5 but this was still pretty solid overall.  Splits were 18:21-18:34.  There is no way that I could have done this workout even yesterday afternoon.
Grade:B+/1 credit/distance=5.0

1/3- BTC group run.  I was hoping for 10 @ sub-8 but had to settle for 8 miles in 65:23 (8:10 pace).  A bit of a step backward but I'm okay with that.  The route was hilly and the weather conditions were less than ideal.  I feel like my formula is slightly off and the smart money is that I need to favor magnesium instead of my usual 1:1 Cal/Mag ratio.  That could be a sign of slow oxidation and a low tissue K level.  Still, it's somewhat encouraging that I was not horrible even though my pills are a little off.  Added a half mile cool in tribute to Ochocinco.  Grading is lenient today.  This was my longest run in 4 weeks.
Grade:C+/1 credit/distance=8.5

1/4- Did some experimentation yesterday and here are the results:
NEGATIVE reaction to Calcium
POSITIVE reaction to Magnesium
POSITIVE reaction to Zinc
NEGATIVE reaction to Thym-Adren
  All signs point toward slow oxidation and an elevated Na/K ratio.  Again, modulating the adrenals, IN THEORY, is the path to ultimate victory.  Of course, that could change when I get the hair test results, which could be as early as next week.

Most everything had cleared by morning so I repeated Friday night's Gold's 5 and my time is down to 36:13 (7:15 pace).  Like last time, I faded a bit towards the end (17:57-18:16) but overall this was better and more comfortable than 2 days ago.
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=5.0

1/5- First meltdown of the year.  Took extra Magnesium and cut out Cal and it increased the fatigue.  Then, I sought help with caffeine, which only made it worse.  I can go no higher than 500 mg of Mag with no Cal. Before taking the liver, I needed 750 of each. That should be enough to maintain my Mag levels.  I'm still okay with my overall progress this year but if I'm not well under 6:00 in the Mile and in sub-1:40 shape for the half by the end of the month, I've got to go with the Endodren.
Gold's 3 mile in a pathetic 25:42 (8:34 pace) and nearly bailed after 2 miles.  I fell off pace immediately and Mile 3 was just barely under 9.
-Hit 50,000 page views today so thanks again to my readers.
Grade:D-/1 credit/distance=3.0

1/6- Yesterday was just a blip.  I am back to the "new normal"  5K time trial in 21:18 (6:52 pace).  I won't say that I've plateaued but the rate of improvement over the past several days has definitely slowed.  I do think I could have broken 36 for 5 miles today and am probably on the cusp of a sub-6 Mile.  Pacing was good and I remained steady in Mile 3 with splits of 6:47-6:56-6:52-42.  I've got a long way to go but again, if I can cut off  5 seconds/mile every week, I'll be in PR shape by Spring.
Grade:C+/2 credits/distance=3.5

1/7- AM-Could not find the motivation to get up for a cold and completely dark group run.  The sunset is getting later in the day but the sunrise will not come earlier for another week.  Regarding the "new normal" that I posted yesterday, I stand by my assertion that I would much prefer to be stable at a 1:40 half marathon than unstable at 1:30.

PM- Easy 6 in 47:08 (7:51 pace).  In the new normal, this pace is probably about right for an easy day.  I'm still way too sluggish and suspect it could be the zinc+magnesium, both of which lower tissue sodium.  If I can't take 500 mg of Mag, I need stronger adrenal support and have got to go with the Endodren and hope that it's only temporary.  Yesterday's time trial projects a 6:05 Mile and a 1:38:40 half.
Grade:B-/1 credit/distance=6.0

1/8- Planned rest day.  Feel about the same as yesterday.  Ordered Endodren.  Still waiting on the HTMA.

1/9- Woke up feeling pretty lousy so I hit the health food store at lunch and picked up a cheap adrenal glandular.  A bad weekend would really be a downer and it seems like my oxidation is slowing in spite of taking ADHS.  The Endodren may not arrive until the middle of next week.

3 miles at moderate effort and surprisingly, I finished comfortably in 21:38 (7:13 pace) with even splits.  I was still stiff but noticeably better after taking the glandular.  The HTMA had BETTER show slow oxidation.
Grade:B+/1 credit/distance=3.0

1/10- AM- 1 Mile untimed.  Fell off pace after the first quarter mile and punted.  Overstimulated and need Cal/Mag again.

PM- Attempt #2 was more successful.  Spain Park Mile in 5:55.1.  Paced it well again but did have a 3 second positive split this time.  87-89-91-88.  I knew I was under 6 so I may have left a couple ticks on the track in the last 200.  Added a slow cool through the woods at Veteran's Park.  Next week, I want to see a sub-5:50 at the VERY least.  Since 1994, I have clocked at least 1 sub-6 Mile every year except 2006.  Add 2015 to that list.
Grade:C/2 credits/distance=3.0

1/11- Morning run with Greg and David.  10 mile loop through Homewood.  Finished in 77:13 (7:43 pace) with a nice even pace.  I had nothing under 7:38 or above 7:53 in spite of a few climbs.  This is what I had hoped to do last weekend but could not.  Solid performance.  I wasn't completely spent and I'm sure I had another 5K left at that pace, which would bring me home around 1:41-flat for a half.  If training goes FAIRLY well, I think a sub-1:35 is possible in Arizona.
  I am taking the liver pill today and anticipate a possible rough rest of the day.  Only once per week should be all I need there.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=10.0

Weekly summary:
This is only the 2nd time on record that I've lost the opening week but that has no bearing on the rest of the year.  Only 1 adjustment was really necessary but I had to take the long way to find it.
Distance= 52.0/ GPA= 29.6/12=2.47

2 comments:

misha said...

Is This the same as your adrenal supplements http://au.iherb.com/Nutricology-Adrenal-Natural-Glandular-150-Veggie-Caps/45935

Cheers
Miche ��

Crazy J said...

I take a product called Thym-Adren from EndoMet Labs. My adrenals are over-active and I need a suppressant. I took Liver Beef from Nutricology to boost my ceruloplasmin.