Sunday, July 20, 2014

Training 7/21-7/27

Pre-week statement:
I will have to do some experimentation this week so I expect to lose.  There is a local 5K on Saturday evening and I am listed as doubtful.  My only real speed work recently has been the Mile time trial tests.  I need more intervals to run a decent 5K.  Next chance is Woodstock on 8/2.

7/21- AM-1 mile at Gold's in 9:51. Splits were 4:38-5:13. 6 Thym Adren is not the answer.

PM- 2 miles in 16:47 (8:24).  Even pace but could not accelerate.  Somewhat encouraged that I improved so much over the morning after laying off pills for just 10 hours.  I still don't know for sure if the source is too much Thym-Adren or too much Cal/Mag or both.  Overall, today was horrible and it sucked too.  Tomorrow should be a bit better.
Grade:F+/1 credit/distance=3.0

7/22- Improvement.  3x2 mile at Gold's in an overall time of 45:11 (7:32 pace).  Formula today was 3 Thym-Adren +250 Cal/Mag the night before.  It was not enough but I knew that coming in.  The good news is how the workout went.  1st rep was 15:20 then popped a Mag and ran a 15:00.  Popped a 2nd Mag and was down to 14:51. Effort was pretty even on each rep.  Maybe I did push a tad harder on #3 but it was also done on tired legs. That's 2 encouraging signs.  #1- I did feel better after each pill but it was not a radical difference.  That means that taking an extra pill beyond the "magic formula" may not have debilitating effects.  #2- Rep #1 and #3 were done on an unbalanced Cal/Mag ratio.  A 1:1 is probably best but it looks like I may be able to deviate a bit so if 3 Thym-Adren + 625 Cal/Mag is not enough, 4 just might work after all.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=7.0

7/23-AM- Decent short tempo.  Formula was 3 Thym-Adren + 625 Cal/Mag.  Improved over yesterday but it still was not enough.  Finished 3 miles in 19:19 (6:26 pace).  In a full 5K, I would have fallen just short of breaking 20.  Got off to a great start and felt like I was going to PR early then the over-stimulation kicked in about a half mile in.  From there, I pretty much settled into a 6:30ish pace.  Splits were 6:18-6:29-6:32.

PM- Experiment.  Did not want to push too hard after the hard tempo this morning.  On 3 Thym-Adren, I did 1 Mile at moderate effort in 7:06.  Popped a 4th and my time was down to 6:36 on similar effort and I actually felt good.
I'm going to tick the Cal/Mag up by 1 more pill to 875 mg.  I'll see how I feel on 3 but am open to 4 again.  5 is almost certainly too many given that I was decent on 3 and awful on 6.
Grade:B+/2 credit/distance=5.0

7/24- AM- Naked mile on Wisteria just to see how I'd feel on 3 + 875.  The answer was not so good.  It appears that it's just too much Cal/Mag right now.  That's okay, 625 will be enough to stave off Mag deficiency and keep my RBC in the 5s.  I could try 750 Mag but I'd have to deviate from the 1:1 ratio.

PM- Still weakened and it's obviously the Cal/Mag.  Again, with a healthy liver, I SHOULD NEVER get a bad reaction from a single dose of a mineral.  It was another day in which a tempo or interval would have been weak but a standard issue workout was fine.  5 miles at Gold's in 37:26 (7:29 pace).  Even pace and no real complaints even though I did not feel strong.  The winning formula is 4+ 625 and I can still win this week with a strong weekend.  It's still possible that I can tolerate extra Mag but not Cal but I'm not messing with it for a while.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=6.0

7/25- AM- Oak Mountain Mile in 5:40.3.  I got the 5 second improvement over last week but I was mildly disappointed in this one.  As usual, I paced it almost perfectly (84-87-87-82) but when I tried to really dig deep, it just wasn't there.  I just could not access my top gear.

PM- Spain Park interval session.  10x400 in sets of 5 with a 2 min R in 79.6 (5:18 pace).  Splits were (82-80-79-79-80)-(79-80-81-81-75).  Pacing was very good as well.  In almost every interval, I was 39 at 200 and hung on for a 40-41.  Key observation: The last 2 days have been much better in the afternoon than in the morning.  In the past, I HAD to, repeat HAD TO take all my Thym-Adren in the morning.  Now, it seems like divided doses are my best bet.  I'm not sure what to make of this but it is likely good news.  This performance puts me in line for a win.
Grade:A-/2 credits/distance=4.5

7/26- Easy 4 at Gold's in 29:04 (7:16 pace).  Felt a little weird.  Pace was strong but I always felt like I was going to fade.  I took only 2 Thym-Adren this morning and will take 2 tonight.  Likely, I am simply adjusting to the change.
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=4.5

7/27-AM- 5 miles on Lakeshore in 36:40 (7:20 pace).  I wanted to do 10 but the heat and humidity were brutal even though I got started around 6:30.  Felt similar to yesterday.  Fast start (7:04 for Mile 2) but was struggling for standard issue pace late.  Splits were 17:58-18:42.  I took 2 Thym-Adren last night and 2 this morning but forgot the Cal/Mag, which likely hurt me.  I'm hitting the gym for 5 more this afternoon but I've got the week won regardless.

PM- FAST! Gold's 5 in a comfortable 34:36 (6:55 pace).  I was off to a sensational start with a steady 6:50 pace in the first half then slipped a bit to 7:00 pace in the second half.  This also answered a key question.  If I only take 2 Thym-Adren in the morning, will it begin to wear off by the evening?  The answer is maybe a little.  That's why I'm giving the 3/2 a try next week or it might be 2/1/1.
Grade:A-/2 credit/distance=10.0

Weekly summary:
Hard fought come from behind win.  This pulls me to within 1 win of the .500 mark.  Maybe a few tweaks will be needed but I've got a good formula now and in theory, it should take me to balance.  I will do another detox in about 3 weeks.
Distance=40.0/ GPA= 31.4/10= 3.14
YTD: 993 miles.  Record: 14-15 with a 2.66 GPA

No comments: