Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Medical report

Prior to receiving this I thought of 4 possibilities:
1) A flip to slow oxidation, which explains the fatigue and benefit from adrenal glandulars
2) Fast oxidation with no adrenal burnout and an explanation such as a toxic metal.
3) Fast oxidation with no clear explanation for fatigue and malaise
4) Full scale relapse into adrenal fatigue
The verdict is in and it is NUMBER 2.  Not what I wanted but beats the hell out of #3 and 4.

For the second straight test, I got the "hill pattern" so named for the appearance of the first 4 macrominerals on the chart (low Cal, higher Mag, higher Na, high K  but a good high Na/K ratio).  This pattern is associated with "turning a corner" and "breaking through a barrier" and has happened before after I escaped adrenal fatigue and once more after removing an infected root canal.  Both times, I had a prolonged hot streak within the next few months.

The raw numbers:
Calcium- up from 23 to 25- good
Magnesium- fell from 8 to 5- good
Sodium- up from 62 to 149- WHAT THE ______!!!
Potassium- up from 21 to 29- not good
Zinc- down from 16 to 15- no big deal
Copper- down from 5.6 to 1.9- EXCELLENT NEWS!

Ratios and meaning:
Blood sugar (Ca/Mg)- This ratio improved from 2.86 to 5.0, which is a significant improvement.  Ideal is 6.67 but anything between 4-9 is still considered to be good and I've edged nicely into that range.

Adrenal- (Na/Mg)- The ratio shot up from a decent value of 7.63 to an off the scale high 29.80, which looks awful and does not match my symptoms but fortunately there is an explanation.

Thyroid- (Ca/K)- This ratio went from bad (1.1) to worse (0.86) but I think that the K rose to "keep up" with the Na so this ratio too is not as bad as it looks.

Vitality/Life and death- (Na/K)- This one is slightly elevated at 5.10 whereas the healthy range is 2.5-4.0.  That said, a mildly elevated ratio is HIGHLY preferable to a low one, which is adrenal fatigue.  Not too worried about that one.

Zinc/Copper- This was the bad one last time with a ratio of 2.86 vs an ideal of 8.0.  Anything under 4 indicates severe copper toxicity.  I turned that one around thanks to the molybdenum.  My current ratio is 7.9 so I can't do much better than that.

Q: The test result showed extreme fast oxidation yet my symptoms are the opposite of how the test appears.  What caused the Na to spike and why am I feeling better on the adrenal glandular?

A: First, molybdenum is known to raise tissue sodium as well as the Na/K ratio but it was successful in getting the copper down as well as balancing the Zn/Cu ratio.  The real culprit is a sudden appearance of a cadmium toxicity, which always causes an extreme sodium elevation.

Q: Any explanation for the cadmium toxicity showing up this time?
A: No simple answer so bear with me here.  Some people such as cigarette smokers and auto workers are exposed to higher amounts of cadmium than others.  I'm not aware of any major exposures to it myself but in our environment, there's no way to completely eliminate exposure to toxic metals.  In a healthy person, trace amounts will be eliminated through the liver, skin or kidneys before it produces symptoms.  In my case, with my congested liver and history of adrenal fatigue, my system was not strong enough to eliminate it until now.  Trace amounts of cadmium accumulated over the course of several years and I am finally getting rid of it by dumping.  Hence, the hill pattern on my test, which indicates turning a corner.

Q: I've always had low levels of toxic metals on my hair test.  Is that not a good thing?
A: Not necessarily.  I recently read an article by Dr. Wilson that suggests that very low levels of toxic metals may suggest that a person is a "poor eliminator."  This is a pattern that was evident in my issues with copper toxicity.  Dr. Wilson wrote that a copper value between 0.9-1.4 often indicates that a person is copper toxic but cannot eliminate it and it remains stuck in organs such as the liver rather than the tissues.  For several years, my copper never rose above 1.4 nor fell below 0.9 no matter what I did as far as supplements.  When it comes to cadmium, poor elimination comes into play when the value is below 0.005.  Mine was 0.002 on the last test then shot up to 0.035 this time around.  I fear that lead, mercury or arsenic may be high next time.

Q: Is that small amount really the cause of my symptoms?
A: Absolutely.  Despite the small amount, it is 7 times higher that the docs want to see.  If you are a slow oxidizer, you know that if your calcium shot up from 40 to 280, you'll be hurting.  Though unconfirmed, I have a strong feeling that the cadmium removal had something to do with the liver flushes.  It may have been that my system was unable to deal with the cadmium until the "layer" of copper toxicity had been peeled away.  Because a hair test represents an average of 2-3 months and the symptoms did not begin until near the end of the testing interval, it is likely that my current value is much higher than what appears on the test.

Q: Are my current symptoms consistent with a cadmium healing reaction?
A: Yes indeed.  I've had a couple breakouts on my face and neck, nausea, headaches, joint pain, diarrhea and of course significant fatigue.  All are common during detox and yes, many patients turn to an adrenal glandular for relief.

Q: What does the future hold?
A: I'm actually fairly optimistic.  The fact that I am getting faster without the adrenal glandular is encouraging.  I've dropped my Mile from 8:26 in early June all the way down to 6:29 today.  My best Mile during this time while on the Endodren is a 5:42 so I still have a ways to go.  I expect to be off it within a few weeks and get by with only Cal/Mag for a short time.  Eventually, I will probably be back to the Thym-Adren and I'm fine with that as long as it's not mega doses with the extreme sensitivity.  As evidenced by the ceruloplasmin test, my liver function is still not up to par so I have ordered some high quality liver supplements as well as a kidney product.

No comments: